Just like Spring cleaning, it’s always a good practice to freshen up your email subject lines for best open rates.
Writing subject lines is a lot more than just an exercise in creative writing.
Data consistently shows that open rates increase when you follow some often tested and outperformed subject line formulas.
69% of recipients report messages as spam based solely on the subject line
47% open emails based entirely on the subject line
OK, so what is the simple little secret to freshen up your subject lines?
Well – it’s using a SUBJECT LINE FORMULA. This way you can have an amazing subject that stays up to date and fresh every time you need it.
We suggest using one of the tested subject line formulas as follows:
Formula #1: Reason Why
Formula: [Number] Reasons Why [Something You Should Do/Try/Use/etc.]
Example: 5 Reasons Why You Should Freshen Your Email Subject Lines
Formula #2: How To
Formula: How to [Achieve Benefit or Result]
Example: How To Boost Email Open Rates
Formula #3: Question
Formula: [Your Audience] + [Question or Benefit Formula]
Example: Are You Struggling With Getting Your Emails Opened?
9 Boosters for Email Subject Lines:
- Questions – Help your subscribers think about how the question you are asking relates specifically to them. When you ask a thought-provoking question, your open rates may increase.
- “How To” – Tell your reader exactly how your content will help them in the subject line. This will leave them wanting more information.
- Scarcity – When there is only a short amount of time to get a deal, subscribers will click.
- Announcement – When something is new, your brand-lovers will go nuts with excitement.
- Numbers – Using a number can lead to a 57% increase in open rates. When in doubt, use a number to increase your open rates.
- Curiosity – Piquing curiosity is a great way to draw subscribers in. If you know what makes your customers tick, use it to your advantage in your subject lines.
- Surprise – The unexpected surprise pleases subscribers and leads them to open your content.
- Personalization – Everyone loves to see their own name, especially from their favorite brand. Have their name? Use it! You can even go beyond just first name and personalize on other things like a recent purchase, or a preference.
- Emoji’s – Remember to try adding a few emoji if it’s appropriate for your business as emoji have been shown to increase open rates and with fun choices like clovers, bunnies, and flowers, you can make your subject lines pop.
So next time you start writing out those incredible lead generating emails, take a minute and incorporate an email subject line formula and include a booster. You should see your email open rate increase!
You can take these a step further by making sure your subject titles WITHIN an email is linking to blogs or other landing pages include these formulas. This will help to increase your CTR (click through rate).