As a business owner, you know how important it is to have certain systems and procedures in place for everyday business functions. These systems are essential to keeping your business fluid, for training, and for overall review and growth. And not just for services, but for internal operations as well from HR to Sales to Marketing.
So, when it comes to your marketing, your SEO specifically, having some standard operating procedures in place is going to help you succeed in getting the basics in concrete but allow you to really start accelerating your results and rocking those Google results.
Here we’ll go through: what is an SOP? Why is it important for your SEO? And how to create one?
First things first….
What Is An SEO SOP?
SOP stands for standard operating procedure and is a document that outlines how a certain task is done step by step. These can include numbered steps, images, screen captures and even video walkthroughs. The videos are the most hopeful, especially for those that learn on a “see-do” method.
Standard operating procedures (SOP) help to make your work faster, easier, and more scalable.
The SEO SOP that you create are useful and can be used for:
- Never forgetting important SEO steps (for publishing content, link building, analytics, etc)
- When hiring and have simple tasks easily transferrable and written out (reduce training time)
- To scale your business in ways that aren’t possible without standardization
SEO SOPs Every Business Should Have:
There are a lot of different processes that a business can use and benefit from internal SOPs. However, the five most critical SEO tasks that should have SOPs include according to AHREFS are:
- Content creation and on-page SEO.
- Internal linking procedures.
- Image optimization.
- Email outreach for link building.
- Tracking your rankings and making updates.
Let’s look at a CONTENT SOP that we have in place so you can see how we create the SEO SOP for documentation and sharing.
SOP for content includes these steps:
- Create a new document to write the post in Shared Drive in the appropriate folder <current year> Posts
- Create and/or Fill in/update the Trello Card with the Title concept
- Write the content outline first in the document
- Write the draft
- Edit the draft (Edit1)
- Create images with proper naming
- Upload to site ready for Edit2
- Add titles, meta descriptions, focus keywords, tags, categories, and alternative text (with focus keyword) to images
These eight steps are specific to our systems and styles. We use Google Drive and TRELLO to keep track of everything, but feel free to use this as an example and adjust to fit your own programs.
Want to build BETTER processes? A mere SOP isn’t enough if you want to scale. In other words, you can’t scale your business unless your systems and processes are automated, predictable, and efficient.
We can show you how to convert your SOPs into automated and predictable processes so you can give awesome service to your customers.